Monday 3 February 2014

Ten Habits That Could Kill Us

"I don't have any bad habits. They might be bad habits for other people , but they're all right for me."
- Eubie Blake.

Before we step into the spotlight, I would like to wish a prosperous Happy Chinese New Year to my readers and thank you for your attention towards my newbie blog. Continuing.

You have it. I have it. We all do. Sometimes a little bad habit is good for your charms. However, what if the bad traits become worse? What if it leads to unseen forthcoming dangers and harms. To break those habits, one first has to understand and sort them out first. Therefore, here's Ten Habits That Could Kill Us. (not literally)
  • Abusing Caffeine 
Probably the most not-obvious trait present in the modern world, lingered with Starbucks franchise stores and Nescafé's ever expanding flavours. Caffeines are in abundance in coffee drinks. The funny thing is Caffeines are extremely synonymous to drugs. When a regular coffee drinker or a caffeine-in taker doesn't dose himself with caffeine, he suffers from headaches, extreme sleepiness and feeling as if he cannot function. Over dosing Caffeines could result in irregular heartbeats, panic attacks and also deprivation of sleep.

  • Procrastination
Ah, this one has no age limits. I once caught my mum in the middle of her procrastination daydreams
while I was talking to her. Either I was too boring or the process of procrastination is effortless. If you are in your class or office - in the middle of procrastination - you might be caught off guard either by your teacher or ever worse, your boss. Procrastination is indeed a habit that could kill you because if your boss catches your daydreaming too often in the middle of office chaos, this might result in you being fired.

  • Selfishness
Albert Camus once cited, "To be happy, we must not be too concerned with others."  Selfishness summed up in one quote, but I have to admit, Mr. Camus has a very good point. A little selfishness provokes the ultimate heartbeat of every action in oneself, the desire to win. That's good, however bundles of selfishness in oneself will lead himself to be isolated by peers and often judged horribly.


  • Low Self-Esteem
People with low self confidence in themselves are those who always say, "Damn, that's too hard. I don't think I can do it." Of course you can't, you never even tried bitch! Being humble and having low self esteem has a thick line of between them. Try. If you fail try harder. I used to have a Taek-Won-Do coach who banned me from saying "I don't know, Sir." and "I can't, Sir." Trust yourself.

  • Arrogance
I've been constantly told that I present an arrogant image in public. Honestly, I never even know. So when people told me, I never quite took it seriously. Remember, people hate arrogant ones. Being arrogant would not lead you to cheap alcohols, bitches nor a cool image in public. It leads you to be isolated and misjudged - all the time.

  • Becoming an Owl during the night
This habit is abnormally common amongst students. Students tend to become an owl during the night. Reason? Simple, exams pressure narrows their minds to believe that studying at night whilst burning the midnight oil is an effective solution to cope with the exams pressure. Wrong! Remember, if you have homework or any sort of stuff that needs you to sacrifice sleep, tell NO to it. Never sacrifice your sleep for anything.


  • Couch Potato-ing
It ain't a verb, I know. I have to admit, but I love to slack off on the couch after not just tiring but any day. And it kills me to know that I have loads of stuff to be completed yet I'm still there, on the couch, slacking off. Slacking off is synonymous to wasting time. As the saying goes, time is gold. You don't waste gold.

  • Tardiness
This is one of the most frustrating habit out there. This is the ultimate symbol of a Malaysian. My friends are often left frustrated because of this habit. Tardiness is defined as "arriving after a scheduled time." Arriving after an expected time leads to rescheduling which erupts conflict among many others who prefers to be on time. So, let's try to be on time, shall we?

  • Hot headed and Easily Provoked
This is a common habit or a personality trait of a sportsman. Remember, nobody likes seeing a person shouting around at everyone in rage. This doesn't only damage your image but it also causes people to fear rather than respect you. Besides, if you are paired or working with a group, it is most likely that your partner(s) would feeling uncomfortable with your presence.


  • The Lone Wolf Syndrome
Once or twice, you would come across a person who would obey this principle; I want to do this myself. I will not obey others' guide. I prefer working alone. Never ever be that person. People suffering such syndrome would avoid working with group and often try to offend others who try to assist them. Working in group helps to ease the burden on the bare shoulders. Forget about receiving credits. 

Assuming each habit gathers 10 points each, try counting how many points you accumulate of out 100 points.
20 points <     "You are an angel."
30-50 points    "With a little change, you will be respected."
60-80 points    "Dude, change for the sake of yourself."
90 points >     "How is your boss still not firing you?!"

Thanks for reading.

TJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment