Sunday 16 February 2014

Saying No

"Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other who have nothing to say but keep on saying it." 
Robert Frost.

The latter half of Frost's saying isn't the gravity of the topic. It's the first half that matters. Why? Because everyone of us suffer from not being able to express how we feel.

Sometimes, we all feel the immense and ponderous pressure on our shoulder from all kind of things that we never wanted to do. From the moment you agreed to complete your best friend's Mathematics homework or agreeing to follow your Mum to her friends' tea party to the point where all this burden ends, the size of help you offered never matters. Because regardless the size, these helps you offered are always burdens.


To ease them? Simple. Say no. Two letter word. One syllable. Because if you choose to agree to say yes to every one of your friends' wishes, you are wasting your time and life. True, bitch you ain't Jim Carrey from Yes Man! My Chemistry teacher likes to say-often too many times-that "Time and tide waits for no man."

I once decided to try saying no to things I never wanted to do and I could say two things-I was happy and people labelled me rude. Ever since, I've decided that I should adopt such lifestyle. I avoided any sort imaginary goals to reach a perfectionist's social lifestyle, I told people who were taking advantage of my intellectuality no. 

Of course, I didn't say no to everyone who approached me to help them. If it was a big project, I would take my time. Everyone god-dammit vital decision deserves a twenty four hour long time to be discussed about. So take your time. Compare it to your happy-to-burden ratio. Think about it.

So, why should you say no?

  • You'll end up doing things you've always want to. 
  • Now that you have time your yourself, people around you will thank you since you're spending more time with them.
  • You'll be less stressed.
  • Happier times will rise in the horizon. (Poetic bullshit, I know.)
  • You get to "filter" out people who are just plainly taking advantage over you.



Then, when to say no?
  • When your mum tells you what to wear
  • When a friend want to copy your essays for the 237th time
  • When your boss gives your too many directions and orders
  • When things aren't in the beautiful side on your righteous scale 
  • When your friends persistently pressures you to come over for a basketball game and you're dead tired.
  • To your homeworks when you're sleepy
  • When your friends asks (threatens) you to surrender your food to them

TJ.


No comments:

Post a Comment